Following the establishment of the African Centre for Statistics(ACS) at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) with Division status, a new subsidiary body specifically devoted to statistics and statistical development on the continent was put in place. The Conference of African Ministers of Finance, Planning and Economic Development held in Addis Ababa in April 2007 endorsed the creation of the subsidiary body in charge of statistics: the Statistical Commission for Africa (StatCom-Africa), as the apex entity in statistical development on the continent.
- Promote the development of national statistical systems of the region, and the improvemnet of the quality and comparability of statistics they produce in line with the Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics;
- Promote the African Statistics Charter prepared under the coordination of the African Union Comission (AUC);
- Ensure coordination with the United Nations Statistical Commission (UNSC) to map out actions to be taken by the ACS to ensure sustainable development of statistics in Africa;
- Ensure the coordination of statistical work of the various actors and mechanisms and their implementation on the continent;
- Examine progress, identify problems and propose solutions to existing and emerging issues on statistical development in Africa;
- Promote exchange of experiences, peer learning, technical cooperation, and data sharing among African countries and institutions;
- Examine, globally and within Africa, emerging trends in statistical development and present the state of knowledge;
- Participate in the establishment of methodologies, norms and standards at the international level and oversee their adoption by African countries and their adaptation to the African specificities;
- Review the relevance of regional statistical training and on-the-job training programmes to the needs of the countries of the region and promote the training of African statisticians;
- Advocate in favour of resource mobilization and technical cooperation in support of statistical development in Africa;
- Consider and make recommendations on statistical work programmes of the ACS;
- Promote the collection and dissemination of internationally comparable statistics by ECA member States as required by policy makers, enterprises, researchers and the general public;
- Ensure the dissemination of the results of its work to national statistical offices, sub-regional, regional, and international organizations, enterprises or any other user; and
- Recommend studies that may be required to further the objectives of the Statistical Commission for Africa and the African Statistical System.
The heads of the National Statistical Offices (NSOs) of ECA member States are the members of the Commission.
The statistical entities of the African region and sub-regional organizations; representatives of data users of African countries; African inter-governmental organizations; the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD); United Nations agencies; the Bretton Woods institutions; and non-governmental organizations active in statistical work shall be invited to the meetings of STATCOM-AFRICA as observers.